Construction of Stonehenge
- Stonehenge had been built over three or four major phases between 3000 BC and 1600 BC for 15 centuries.
- 1st Phase: Neolithic –The first monument consisted of a circular bank and ditchThe round enclosure with a large entrance to the north east aligned to sunrise on summer solstice and a smaller one to the south as 2nd entrance where some rituals must be held.
- 2nd Phase:BC2900～BC2600 –Some form of timber structure was built inner and outer of round enclosure.
- 3rd Phase：BC2500～BC1600 –Started the megalithic construction, built in dual crescent shape with blue stones at the center of the circle.
- However, 200 – 300 years later, beginning of the circle of Sarsen stones, the blue stones were rearranged, so the crescent form is invisible today.
- Additionally constructed, at the last phase, the Avenue linked large entrance with the Avon, Heel stone (must be a pair of stones but only one left), and at the large entrance, erected three stones only one of which is left lying called “Slaughter stone.